Tuesday, October 17, 2006

At the Top of it All

Well, it's been another interesting day. So, this morning we headed straight to the Embassy for our 9:30 appointment. We were a bit early but we didn't mind. I mean, after all, we did have an appointment for 9:30AM, right? Ha! Someone is out there just playing jokes on us!

We went to the window as we were told. There were no available seats at all in the entire building either inside or out. The blinds were closed in our window, open in every other window but the one we were told to go to. Finally some guy came to the window and opened it to begin interviews and we told him we had an appointment at 9:30. He said to go to the next window and tell them, but to wait until exactly 9:30 to do it. I waited and then went to the window and stood forever of course. Finally this girl shows up very surprised to see us. Now this is the same girl who issued the appointment time yesterday! So, I told her why we were there and she said to wait once again. After a bit someone called us to the first window. He asked us some questions and asked Nok some too (this guy was a white guy w/ excellent Thai!). Then he wanted to know why we didn't get Nok vaccinated. We told him the doc had told us the Embassy changed the policy and vx were no longer needed. He laughed and said "yes, we still require them. Go back and get them and come back tomorrow. We'll issue the Visa Thursday or Friday." I nearly screamed! We are scheduled to fly out Thursday morning!!!!!!! So we told him. He said they only take paperwork dropoffs on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We nearly begged him and finally he said "I am leaving at 3. If you can get over there and get it done and back by 3, I will take it and you can pick up the Visa tomorrow afternoon. But I really doubt you can be back by 3 today. I'm very sorry". We ran from the room and leapt into a cab and prayed for smooth traffic. That was right at 11 O'clock. Now if you have ever been in Bangkok at nearly lunchtime you know how heavy and quite still the traffic can be. We had no appointment on top of that. And we were right back at the embassy at exactly Noon!!!!!!! God was smiling on us today!

When I made it to the security checkpoint I had left Tommy and Nok far behind (she walks as if she were 200 years old). I had the Visa Vaccinations and I was hard pressed to make it before they close at noon. The security guy held me up. He said they're closed. I said No! I need in now! This man told me to come back now! To hurry! The security guy laughed and repeated himself but they let me through. The guy was just leaving for lunch and I darted to the counter (after trying patiently not to run over the woman in front of me out on a Sunday walk through the Embassy waiting room). They were as shocked as I was that we made it back in time. He said "did you go? Are you ok? Did you get them done already?!" I said yes! Here they are! He said wow, ok where is the passport?

Ha! Nok was far behind me but I told the guy to wait. I darted once again and shouted for Nok to run. She did (a little) and I raced the passport back inside. They were laughing when they handed us the card that says to come back tomorrow at 3 to pick up the Visa. Finally......I laughed too. Then we had lunch and took a break for a bit before headed to the DSDW for another meeting. They had called us and wanted us to come back so they could see how well Nok has adjusted in a week. They were very surprised and happy that she seems much happier and more open to conversing. It went very well. She visited w/ them for a while and we relaxed and talked. They said there had been 3 meetings going on at the same time, and that the other board members were curious about us and wanted to meet Nok. They said she is the oldest child they have ever had leave the country by this form of adoption. I assume they mean not relative adoption but by foreign adoption. They asked alot of questions that were just repeats and quite a few new questions. We asked them if we could send additional updates and photos and they were very happy about that. We told them we would send the stuff by way of WACAP. They think very highly of WACAP and said over and again they were pleased to work w/ us and were happy that Nok seems content to go now. Talk about happy....by tomorrow after we pick up the Visa I will be nearly on top of the world! Or at least nearly on top of the equator......

No comments: