Monday, October 23, 2006

Getting Settled

The arrival home was interesting. The pilot had announced the temperature was about 36 degrees but I think our bodies had quickly forgotten what 36 degrees felt like! Nok was freezing so we rushed to the car. The girls fell asleep and we chatted w/ Darlene until we got home. The first thing I noticed was the trees. The leaves had already fallen! I missed it all! I missed the glorious orange of the Locust tree and the brilliant yellow of the various different trees in our yard and out by the horses. I shrugged it off and focused on greeting my doggies. When I walked in the kitchen I dropped to my knees and took my little doggies in my arms and giggled and petted them like crazy. They had looked at me like I was a stranger they enjoyed visiting w/ every once in a while! We had decided we would surround Nok a bit so the dogs wouldn't scare her too much but she wasn't afraid at all. Cody started showing her around. It was about 1 in the morning and we ended up winding down about 4:30. Yeah, I've never been accused of being the brightest crayon in the box lol!!! Even less brilliant was getting up again at 7:30. But we just couldn't sleep and Nok needed boots and tennis shoes. I couldn't expect her to wear flip flops when it just snowed last week. So, I went shopping. I never thought I'd see the day when I loathed shopping.

Nok has learned sooooo much in just a short amount of time. Just today she really opened up and began saying phrases and words! When we ordered something to drink today she automatically thanked the guy w/out us prompting her to do so! We cheered her on and made a huge deal of it. She grinned the biggest grin and ducked her head. This morning when we dropped Cody off at school, Nok really wanted to stay. She kept walking around looking at the classrooms and smiling at everyone. When I said it was time to go she seemed very disappointed. She has taken a liking to the Kindergarten teacher and I so wish we could find a teacher just like her to help Nok through these tough times.

This post will be short since I am just exhausted. Sorry, everyone! I will come back w/ some good stuff when I've had some rest!

No comments: