Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Through the Looking Glass

Ok, I finally have some time to blog. Nok is very angry with me so I sent her to our room w/ Tommy and that made her even angrier. Like my dad always said growing up "you can get glad in the same pants ya got mad in!"

So, let me go back to when we left Denver, Colorado. Cody has been well prepared for us being gone so it wasn't hard on her when we left. We walked out the door as she was sitting down to a tea party w/ GramMarcia. I held the tears in check and prayed I could keep my lunch down. At the airport I got out and a few of the tears started to fill my eyes. I swallowed it down and headed in to check in. Our baggage was perfect, everything went smoothly and we were ready to go. We sat a waited a bit and boarded the plane w/out incident and when we were headed down the runway I couldn't hold back any longer. I sobbed silent tears for the stress we had gone through but mostly for my baby girl. I was leaving her behind and I suddenly didn't want to. I wanted her back in my arms. But I dried it up instead and enjoyed seeing the city lights pass us by. We were in L.A. in no time and that place was awful! It stunk so bad there!!! We were a bit shocked and when we boarded the plane we went straight away to wash. We had a light film over our skin and felt filthy! On the way into L.A. the lights of the city seemed to stretch for days upon days and it was really beautiful. I felt the same way leaving although I wouldn't want to live there haha. There was just this beautiful glow, twinkling back at me from the ground and it was a strange peaceful feeling. We were finally going to bring home the child we have prayed for for 2 years.

The trip over the ocean was uneventful. I don't know if that was a good thing or not haha! We started to get a bit stir crazy....some cabin fever going on. While everyone else was sleeping, I was up jogging in place and wishing I was sleepy. I was exhausted of course but the seats on planes are too much like seats and not enough like beds! Imagine that....The airport in Taipei is wonderful! Very clean and well organized and we actually enjoyed our short stay there. I had this white thing that looked like a giant onion only it was like bread and filled w/ a meat substance. It was soooo good! I think i'll have another when we go back through there next week.

Wow....next week. Hardly seems like it. Time has just flown by. Sometimes it seems we've been here forever and other times it seems like only yesterday we arrived. When we got to Bangkok we had to wait in the airport for 6 hours before we could check our baggage. Then another 2 hours to fly to Chiang Mai. They took us out by bus and we climbed the mobile steps to the plane. Interesting experience. We really really liked Chiang Mai. When we arrived there a friend met us and took us to our room. We stayed at the T-Room Guesthouse. It was fair. But we arrived at midnight so it didn't matter what it looked like....we didn't care! Our friends had brought snack and drinks for us and it was so sweet of them! They are wonderful wonderful people and we will never forget all they have done for us!

The next morning we took a Songthaew to the orphanage as we were instructed to be there at 9:30. We were there about 9 and of course they were not expecting us. They asked us if we could come back tomorrow at 9:30 and I politely told them no thank you, that we had been told to come today and we would be in Chiang Mai a short amount of time. They quickly sent a worker to pick up Nok.

For the next 2 hours we were mauled by children who are starved for attention and affection. There was one little girl (it was a group of 3-4 year old boys and girls) who repeated everything I said! Word for word entire sentences and perfect pronunciation. There was this silly little boy who would try to keep our attention by putting toys on his head and around his neck and ankles and running wildly from one end of the room to the other lol. It was hilarious. They tried to draw on me w/ my pen, tried to take my hair thing and glasses and drew scribbles in my notebook, while Tommy built boxes of foam toys and put them in it. Then the lady watching them just left! Kids were everywhere and it was really odd. We were never offered water and had forgotten to take any. We finally escaped the mob and found a bench in the shade to wait. Just when the kids had located us again and spread the word Tommy said "hey, here she comes". I looked up and instantly fell in love w/ my daughter. She was shuffling along and smiling so big!

No comments: